Skip to main content

Wall Drawing #95


I'm contemplating a project of recreating a whole bunch of Sol Lewitt's Wall Drawings via P5.JS


“When an artist uses a conceptual form of art, it means that all the planning and decisions are made beforehand and the execution is a perfunctory affair. The idea becomes the machine that makes the art.
     Sol LeWitt, “Paragraphs on Conceptual Art,” 1967
P5.JS seems like a good tool to play around with this idea.  The image above comes from some code I wrote to execute the instructions Lewitt wrote for this piece.  His instructions were:
On a wall divided vertically into fifteen equal parts, vertical lines, not straight, using four colors in all one-, two-, three-, and four-part combinations.

I created the piece you see above trying to mimic fairly closely the execution of the work I've seen at MASS MoCA.
Having done that I took some time and played with the drawing, trying to stay within the constraints given.  In particular I played with wider "pen tips" and different levels of opacity for the "paint".  I took advantage of the fact that the artist (here Lewitt is the artist...I am ...what...the performer?) did not say that the lines could not overlap.  I also rotated the composition by 90 degrees so the sparseness/denseness gradient flows from top to bottom rather than left/right as Lewitt wrote it.


Oh...and heres the image MASS Moca provides on their site of a portion of this wall drawing as it was performed in the Lewitt exhibit over there:



I Just found out there's a site already started doing something similar:  Solving Sol.  I'll check in with Brad, who runs that site, and see if I can figure out how to use GitHub so I can add my sketches to his project as well.


Comments